Online therapies during covid

I’m needing some advice please. Does anyone have any knowledge regarding the accessing of online therapies, for example music therapy, during covid, in the absence of being able to attend actual face to face sessions.
Are these online sessions as beneficial as face to face sessions?
Also have people found that therapies have been cancelled completely during the pandemic rather than being offered on line services?
I am being asked to explore access to therapies during the pandemic for one of our LD funded service users and we need to be seen as being fair and equitable in terms of what others are receiving, or not, during this time.
Many thanks in anticipation.

1 Like

Hello, I am a speech and language therapist in community adults with learning disabilities. Our multi-disciplinary team have been offering assessments and consultations where possible via video since the start of the pandemic. Where this doesn’t work, i.e. due to client’s not having access to video calling, lack of appropriate support, or risks not being able to be managed via video (e.g. high risk eating and drinking clients) we go see them in person in full PPE. I personally would say face-to-face is the optimum but in some cases video calling is better, e.g. if it is important that the person can see your face which is not possible when wearing PPE. I know of other services who have done conversation groups online and paediatric therapists who have done more targeted therapy online so it is possible and definitely better than no therapy at all.

Hi there I am a Music Therapist working with children and adults with learning disabilities. I have switched to some online or telephone work with clients since March and while it has been different and challenging it has also been really rewarding. Most sessions are via Zoom with some on Skype - I have found that carers have become more involved in sessions especially with complex needs children - usually they are seen during school and this has provided a lovely opportunity to work with the whole family. Our LD choir for adults meets on a weekly basis and while the latency of sound is imapcted by internet speed it has nonetheless been a real positive for them to see their friends and to connect. We recently carried out a survey of this work and the feedback was overwhelmingly positive from participants and carers. It’s different but possible and I have enjoyed working this way.

Hello Dinkyd
I work for IATT Mid Devon, Devon Partnership Trust, NHS. Are you in my area, if not can you reccomend a Music Therapist in Devon, who works with people with LD. I am particularly looking for Drumming workshops.

Kindest wishes