Calling all professionals involved in using the Power Threat Meaning Framework in their work with adults with intellectual / learning disabilities!

Hello everyone - I hope it’s okay to post my research here! I am looking for any professionals (social workers, nurses, support workers, psychiatrists, psychologists etc) who are drawing on the Power Threat Meaning Framework (PTMF) in their work with adults with intellectual disabilities (not limited to direct clinical work but also for example, drawing on PTMF ideas within services, with staff teams, in supervision, within organisations etc.!) & would be interested in discussing with me for my research!

My name is Megan Leverington and I am a Trainee Clinical Psychologist at Royal Holloway, University of London. I would like to invite you to take part in my research project titled Professionals’ experiences of the Power Threat Meaning Framework (PTMF) in their work with adults with Intellectual Disabilities (ID). My research explores professionals’ experiences of, and perspectives on, using the PTMF in their work with adults with ID and their systems. This will be the first known study exploring the PTMF specifically in the context of working with people with ID. The project hopes to understand:

The clinical applications of the PTMF for adults with ID and their systems

The strengths and weaknesses of the PTMF for this population

The study therefore hopes to provide an understanding of how professionals are using the PTMF in their work with adults with ID and their systems, and what the barriers to using the PTMF might be. The study will hopefully also inform future developments and adaptations of the PTMF specifically for adults with ID and their systems.

To be eligible to participate you must be either:

a) currently using the PTMF in your work with adults with ID, or

b) have historically used or tried using the PTMF in your work with adults with ID but do not use it currently

***** NB: You do NOT have to be an ‘expert’ in the PTMF! I’m interested in hearing about your unique professional experiences and perspectives whether they are neutral, positive, and/or negative…*****

If you are interested in taking part or would like to find out more information/discuss the study further, please let me know by contacting me via njjt019@live.rhul.ac.uk

I would really appreciate any onward sharing / advertising if you know of any other professionals who may be interested in taking part!